Thursday, March 15, 2012

Meat-Free for 3 weeks!

I decided to give up meat and become a vegetarian. Actually I guess I am a pescatarian since I continue to eat fish. For about a year, I've started to become somewhat, for lack of a better word, disgusted my red meat, pork and poultry. I would hardly eat it, but when I did I couldn't help but think about all the chemicals I'm consuming along with the meat product. Hormones and antibiotics were all I thought about. I started to buy organic and grass fed beef, but I would still feel awful...not to mention, my wallet became lighter.

It was hard for me to wrap my head around this whole vegetarian idea because I grew up LOVING meat. Steak and baked potato was my absolute favorite meal. The last time I had a steak was probably six months ago, and I barely finished half of it. My have times changed...

I needed to try being meat free for a while, so I thought what's a better time to give something up than for lent. So many people give something up for lent, regardless if they're Catholic, so I won't be alone.

I've been meat-free for three weeks and I don't miss it at all!  I have even noticed that I can fit into a pair a pants that I haven't been able to wear in forever!  YAY!  All in all I'm pleased with myself for having the strength to do this. It really hasn't been too difficult, and I am feeling great now that I'm eating clean! 

I do have to admit, I miss bacon.  After lent is over, I will probably continue to stay veggie...but I will submit to the occasional bacon strip from time to time.  AND I apologize in advance but when Scott and I go back to Tucson in a few weeks, I WILL be consuming a sonoran hot dog.  I must.  Those things are non-existant in LA and I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment