Saturday, January 14, 2012

Adventures in Koreatown

Over the weekend I had a remarkable food experience at a place called BCD Tofu House in the Koreatown. My step nephew, Kurt, brought me there for lunch and taught me the ways of Korean food. (he's only a year younger than me, if you were wondering). Apparently this is the place to go at 3am after a night of partying. Where I come from, we went to Nico's. Mmmmm Nico's. I want a burrito RIGHT now.

We both ordered soon tofu soup (soon just means it's extra soft and crumbly) and a side of pork dumplings. After ordering the waitress brought out an array of sides including kimchi bean sprout salad cold pickles and a fried fish!  Now, I am trying to diversify my palate by trying the fish...but the eyeball was looking at me in a "help me" kind of way.  I couldn't do it.






The tofu soup was amazeballs.  I'm craving it as we speak.  The broth had just a hint of spice, and the tofu provided a bit of density to round out the meal.  Everything was fantastic! I even enjoyed the kimchi regardless if it burned a hole through my tongue.

Besides going to shows at the Wiltern, this was my first real Koreatown experience in LA. I kind of felt like I was in Korea, based on the fact that ever piece of signage around the town was in Korean, and Well, Kurt and I were the only non-Koreans in the place!

By the way, check out the bill...cheapest lunch I've ever had in LA!



I cannot wait to go back and bring Scott this time. He will conquer that fried fish for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment